Be a voter, make your voice heard!
Virginia is a stronger commonwealth when voters head to the polls to make their voices heard. Help build a stronger community when you cast your vote.
The next election in Virginia is November 2, 2021. This is a general election for the office of Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, House of Delegates, and some local offices (varies by locality).
Important dates and deadlines
Friday, September 17, 2021
Tuesday, October 2, 2021
Friday, October 22 2021
Saturday, October 23, 2021
Saturday, October 30, 2021
Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
How to Register to Vote
Check your registration status, update your new address, and check your voter history on the Virginia Department of Elections website:
1. Obtain a voter registration application
Or pick up an application from any of the following locations:
- Local voter registrar’s office
- Armed forces recruitment offices
- Public libraries
- Virginia Department of Elections Office
- Department of Motor Vehicles Office
- Voter registration drives
- State of local government offices
2. Complete your voter registration application
- Complete all information on the application. If any information requested does not apply to you, indicate such by writing the word “none” or “N/A” in that space
- Sign and date the registration application
3. Submit your voter registration application by October 12, 2021
- If you are registering online: the deadline to submit your application is October 12, 11:59 PM
- If you are registering with a physical application: mail your application via the U.S. Postal Service or hand-deliver it to any official registration office by 5:00 P.M.
How to Vote: Early, by Mail, In-Person on November 2
How to Vote Early
You can vote early at your local registrar’s office or local satellite voting site between September 17, 2021 and October 30, 2021.
To vote early, you must provide your name, address, and an acceptable form of ID or sign an ID confirmation statement affirming your identity.
Click below for the full, expanded list of acceptable forms for ID:
How to Vote by Email
The deadline to request your vote by mail ballot for the November General Election is October 22, 2021 at 5pm. Don’t wait until the last minute!
Apply to vote by mail on the Department of Elections citizen portal:
- Downloading a paper form from the Department of Elections’ Voter Forms page
- Obtaining a paper form at your county registrar’s office
How to Vote In-Person on November 2
Go to your polling location on Election Day, November 2. Polling locations are open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. If you are standing in line at 7:00 p.m., you must be allowed to vote.
Click below to find your polling location: